Sunday, September 25, 2011

Card Creating Sunday

It's Card Creating Sunday over in My Cricut Craft Room!!!!  We LOVE making cards!!  If you've just happened across my blog, thanks for stopping by and welcome, but remember to go over to My Cricut Craft Room to see all of the other wonderful cards that were made for today.

This has been a whirlwind of a week - lots of birthdays this week!  In light of that, today's card is actually the card I gave my Dad for his birthday on Friday.  I hope you enjoy!

I started off with a standard, white 5"x6.5" card and overlaid the front with some birthday paper I bought at Hobby Lobby the other day.  (Celebrations 6"x12" paper pack)  Then, I wanted something birthday and cute, but not TOO girly or childish, as it WAS for my Dad, after all. :)  Here is what I came up with:



I used the cupcake from Doodlecharms for this card and I cut it and its layers out at 4.88" on my Gypsy.  I cut the base layer and some sprinkles out of plain blue cardstock; the icing out of lime green plain cardstock; the shadow, flame and some sprinkles from plain yellow cardstock; the candle and some more sprinkles out of plain red cardstock.  All of this cardstock just came from my stash.  I layered the cupcake together, but wanted some dimension, so I put the cupcake on some foam to attach it to its shadow.  I also wanted the candle flame to stand out, since it was the same color as the shadow, so I inked the edges of it with Barn Door colored Tim Holtz Distress Ink.  The sentiment on the inside is a stamp I had in my stash and I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Tumbled Glass for the color.

Then came the fun part!!! I have fallen in love with the idea of Action Wobbles, but they are sold out of them online (plus they're expensive!).  So, I made my own! I used two 1" circles (I finally got me a punch so these are quick and easy) and a small coil of 26-gauge wire.  Take just enough wire to wrap around your cylinder (I use my Zig 2-way Glue Pen since it's bigger around) one full wrap and a couple of half wraps.  Tape the ends of the coil, one to each of the circles, and then use a glue dot to secure the wobble to the card and the cupcake.  Easy peasy!  Here's a quick clip of the wobble in action:



I hope you have enjoyed my Dad's birthday card as much as we did!  I know I had fun making it! :)

Have a great rest of your weekend! And, now, Happy Birthday to me!! :D

7 comments:

Pink Polka Dot Scrapping said...

Super cute card! Love your sprinkles....I hope your dad has a wonderful Birthday! Have a great day!

Tammy Schmitt said...

Thank you for sharing your "how-to" create your own "action wobbles". I had signed up last year to get free ones and, of course, they never came. I need to make a bunch of oct bday cards so I'll be using your info. I really appreciate it:-)

~Tammy S

Josie0602 said...

Super cute birthday card!
Tracy
jtg0398(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

Anonymous said...

great birthday card!

Holly said...

Love the card! How handy are you making your own action wobble? I would have never thought of that.

Holly

hollyshobbie at gmail dot com

Liz said...

Great card and you are awesome for sharing your homemade wobbles!! I need to try that soon. Thanks so much. Liz
17eroses@gmail.com

Autumn said...

I can't take the credit for the homemade action wobbles.....I got the idea from a friend who shared a YouTube video with me. For the video, just go to YouTube and search "action wobble" and you should be able to find it. :)